Our purpose for establishing this Safe Sanctuary Policy is to demonstrate our total and unwavering commitment to the physical, emotional and spiritual safety of all the children and youth God has entrusted to our care.
Central United Methodist Church pledges to conduct the ministry of Jesus Christ in ways that help to assure the physical and emotional safety and spiritual growth of all of our children and youth as well as all of our volunteers and paid staff with children and youth.
Jesus said, "Whoever welcomes a child welcomes me." (Matthew 18:5). Children are our present and our future, our hope, our teachers, our inspiration. They are full participants in the life of the church and in the realm of God.
Below are five easy steps to becoming Safe Sanctuary certified:
1. Download the complete Safe Sanctuary policy. Please review the policy and contact Karen Anderson, Director of Children's Ministries, if you have any questions.
2. Complete and return the required forms. You need only fill out three (3) reference forms if you have not been a regular attender of the church for at least one (1) year. Other forms are required for everyone desiring to be certified. Forms must be returned before your Safe Sanctuary application and training can be processed.
3. Watch the Safe Sanctuary presentation online. The video takes approximately 20 minutes. Make sure your speakers are turned on.
Online Video Presentation
4. Once you have completed the online training, please click the the link below and take the quiz. Be sure to push the submit button.
5. All certified volunteers are required to wear a Safe Sanctuary badge while volunteering. After you have received notification of your successful completetion of Safe Sanctury training, you will need to submit a "headshot" picture of yourself (a snapshot will do) or come by the church office to have your picture taken. It is recommended that certified persons wear their badges even when they are not volunteering so that our committment to the safety of children is evident to all who enter our church.
If you have any questions about this process, the policy, or need further assistance, please contact Karen Anderson in the church office.
You can use the following links to see our current needs and to sign up of volunteer positions:
Basic Beliefs of the United Methodist Church (coming soon)