Central United Methodist Church pledges to conduct the ministry of Jesus Christ in ways that help to assure the physical and emotional safety and spiritual growth of all of our children and youth as well as all of our volunteers and paid staff with children and youth. All those working with children, youth and vulnerable adults must be Safe Sanctuary certified and have the proper background checks.
Jesus said, "Whoever welcomes a child welcomes me." (Matthew 18:5). Children are our present and our future, our hope, our teachers, our inspiration. They are full participants in the life of the church and in the realm of God.
Below are 5 easy steps to becoming Safe Sanctuary certified:
1. Download the complete Safe Sanctuary policy. Please review the policy and contact Karen Anderson, Director of Children's Ministries, if you have any questions.
2. Complete and return the required forms. You need only fill out three (3) reference forms if you have not been a regular attender of the church for at least one (1) year. Other forms are required for everyone desiring to be certified. Forms must be returned before your Safe Sanctuary application and training can be processed. Please make sure all forms are filled out properly, dated, signed and notarized (only the last page). Three reference checks are required if you have not attended CUMC regularly for the past year. Print off 3 copies, fill out the information in the box and return to Karen Anderson.
3. Watch the Safe Sanctuary presentation online. The video takes approximately 20 minutes. Make sure your speakers are turned on.
4. Once you have completed the online training, please click the the link below and take the quiz. Be sure to push the submit button.
5. All certified volunteers are required to wear a Safe Sanctuary badge while volunteering. It is recommended that certified persons wear their badges even when they are not volunteering so that our commitment to the safety of children is evident to all who enter our church.
If you have any questions about this process, the policy, or need further assistance, please contact Hannah Carter.